But we have soothed ourselves into imagining sudden change as something that happens outside the normal order of things. An accident, like a car crash. Or beyond our control, like a fatal illness. We do not conceive of sudden, irrational change as built into the very fabric of existence. Yet it is. And chaos theory teaches us … that straight linearity, which we have come to take for granted in everything from physics to fiction, simply does not exist …. Life is actually a series of encounters in which one event may change those that follow in a wholly unpredictable, even devastating way …. That's a deep truth about the structure of our universe. But, for some reason, we insist on behaving as if it were not true. – Ian Malcolm in Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park
“They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.”
-Fantastic (Fallout: NV)
“Well done. Here are the test results: You are a horrible person. I’m serious, that’s what it says: “A horrible person.” We weren’t even testing for that!”
“Don’t let that horrible-person thing discourage you. It’s just a data point. If it makes you feel any better, science has now validated your birth mother’s decision to abandon you on a doorstep.”
-GlaDOS: Portal 2
- “Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls, and ask the ghosts if honour matters. The silence is your answer.” – The last of the protheans [Mass effect]
- Butt Stallion says hello -Handsome Jack – Borderlands
- No gods or kings. Only Man
- “When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!” — Cave Johnson from Portal 2
“What if you miss?” -Cortana
“I won’t.” -Master Chief
- “Wake up Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes.”
- “The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.”
- “Just a heads up: we’re gonna have a superconductor turned up full blast and pointed at you for the duration of this next test. I’ll be honest – we’re throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it’ll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we’ll cut out.” – Cave Johnson
- “…you’re here because you wanted to feel like something you’re not: a hero.”
- John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line
Quoted from 'An Introduction to Mathematics'
Edit: Alfred North Whitehead – (15 February 1861 – 30 December 1947) was an English mathematician and philosopher. He wrote on algebra, logic, foundations of mathematics, theology, philosophy of science, physics, metaphysics, and education. Whitehead supervised the doctoral dissertations of Bertrand Russell and Willard Van Orman Quine, thus influencing logic and virtually all of analytic philosophy. He co-authored the epochal Principia Mathematica with Russell and later the metaphysical treatise Process and Reality.
Preacher: Einstein's theory of relativity. Grab hold of a hot pan, second can seem like an hour. Put your hands on a hot woman, an hour can seem like a second. It's all relative. Tom Scoggins: I spent four years at CalTech, and that's the best physics explanation I've ever heard.
submitted by rabbity_babbity