I work part time because I usually go to school full-time. Due to an overlap in prerequisites I had to take a semester off as well as the summer which I usually do school through as well. I've never had this much time before and I have had so much time alone spent pondering this and that…I have always gotten “into my own head” quite easily even while living a very productive life but it's never been this bad. I have always been a happy person but recently I have been pondering my relationship with my girlfriend, my friends, my major in school, my job, moving out…When I found this quote randomly it put so much into perspective. I'm about to start working full-time as a CNA due to a feeling of nonproductivity and was looking up quote about staying positive at work since I know that's a stressful field. This quote made me feel so much better and I hope it can help someone else as well.
- One’s back is vulnerable, unless one has a brother. Ber er hver að baki nema sér bróður eigi.
The Saga of Grettir the Strong, chapter 82
- There are more things to be thought of by men than money alone. En fleira er mönnum til hugganar en fébætur einar.
The Saga of Grettir the Strong, chapter 47
- Never slay more than one man in the same stock, and never break the peace which good men and true make between thee and others. Veg þú aldrei meir í hinn sama knérunn en um sinn og rjúf aldrei sætt þá er góðir menn gera meðal þín og annarra.
The Saga of Burnt Njal, chapter 55
- Then said Atli, when he got the thrust, “These broad spears are becoming a fashion.” After that he fell forward over the threshold. Atli mælti við er hann fékk lagið: “Þau tíðkast hin breiðu spjótin,” segir hann. Síðan féll hann fram á þröskuldinn.
The Saga of Grettir the Strong, chapter 45
- He is bad-tempered, and may be that I shall let another’s wound be my warning. Hann er skapillur og búið eg láti annars víti að varnaði.
The Saga of Burnt Njal, chapter 37
- There are few more certain tokens of ill than not to know how to accept the good. Fátt vísara til ills en kunna eiga gott að þiggja.
The Saga of Grettir the Strong, chapter 78
- Where fault can be found, the good is ignored. Fár bregður hinu betra ef hann veit hið verra.
The Saga of Burnt Njal, chapter 139
- A tale is but half told when only one person tells it. Jafnan er hálfsögð saga ef einn segir.
The Saga of Grettir the Strong, chapter 46
- No one is a total fool if he can be silent. Enginn er alheimskur, ef þegja má.
The Saga of Grettir the Strong, chapter 88
- Eyes can not hide a woman’s love for a man. Eigi leyna augu ef ann kona manni.
The Saga of Gunnlaugur the Worm-tongue, chapter 13.
I don't know why it says “1” at the start of every sentence. It says 1, 2, 3 and so on when I press EDIT.
From The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Given the scale of life in the cosmos, one human life is no more than a tiny blip. Each one of us is a just visitor to this planet, a guest, who will only stay for a limited time. What greater folly could there be than to spend this short time alone, unhappy or in conflict with our companions? Far better, surely, to use our short time here in living a meaningful life, enriched by our sense of connection with others and being of service to them. Dalai Lama XIV